Friday, May 28, 2010

Who knew that hedgehogs were so tasty?

hedgehog 001

Ah, the Hedgehog slice... it's a childhood favourite for me. I love that fact that you get to bash a whole heap of biscuits to make biscuit crumbs and that it is no bake! I have to admit that I have had my fair share of kinda dry and tasteless hedgehog slices so here's my recipe for delicious, chocolatey and nutty goodness!

I base my Hedgehog slice recipe on the never fail one from Cookery the Australian Way Book.

Miss Mardi Hedgehog goodness: (I use a baking paper lined 27 x 18cm tray for this recipe
Ingredients:
  • 240g of sweet biscuits crushed, I use one packet of Arrowroot biscuits, generally the Aldi brand ones.
  • 3/4 cup of well chopped walnuts.
  • 1/2 cup of caster sugar
  • 2 heaped tablespoons of good quality cocoa powder (I use cadburys)
  • 1 egg beaten
  • 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut
  • 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla essence.
  • 175g of margarine (I use an olive oil based one)
How to:
  1. pop your biscuits into a plastic bag, then beat with a rolling pin to make crumbs. I like a combination of breadcrumbs and some chunkier pieces.
  2. put crushed biscuits into a bowl with the chopped walnuts and the coconut.
  3. in a small saucepan add margarine and caster sugar, heat gently until the margarine has disolved.
  4. take off heat and add the cocoa and vanilla. Stir well until shiny and well combined. During this time, the mixture is cooling. When slightly cooler, add the beaten egg and quickly combine.
  5. add the wet mixture to the biscuit mixture and combine well.
  6. press mixture into the pan with a metal spoon, press well so it is flat!
  7. place in the fridge until chilled and hard.
  8. remove from pan and cut into squares.
I keep my hedgehog in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days. Trust me, it will be eaten well within 2 days!

I have often wondered why this slice is called Hedgehog? Does anyone know?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also find this delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...